1.2.10

only the classiest of accomodations

PART THREE OF EUROPEAN ADVENTURE


Next page of journal:

My journal goes out of order, but the narrative explains this, and I am just going to copy it down as is.  The next pages of my journal has what seems to be a grocer list written by  jenna. It states:

05/11/04   [ it definitely says 04. it was 08]:
  We need:
Toilet paper
Milk
Wine
Crisps
TO NOT HAVE A GAS LEAK”
I love her.
Following this is a list of nicknames we have come up with for a teacher whose name will not be revealed at this time. we made like 20. thats my favorite part. nothing mean really, just so ridiculous.
On this page I also felt it was a good idea to write down jenna’s phone number and full address. That way I cannot lose it. good for me. the next page is a list of notes jenna made for her class, regarding the Byzantium exhibit. The next few pages are just filled with notes regarding where to meet Alicia in Salzburg . what other trains/planes/automobiles I have booked. Notes about places I wanted to go. notes about hostels that I hadn’t booked til arriving in London. I booked sir tobys about 4 days before going there. Same with the old nazi hotel in Salzburg. More on these later. And now. Finally. Back to the written story.





9.11.08

Let me begin by saying I am currently sitting on one bed ( I say that because there are two, which makes me a bit nervous for the fee upon checkout) in my room in Pension Alderhof. Although I just found out I could have stayed in the Sallerhof another night for cheaper, this hotel is ok. I miss the Sallerhof. It was so perfect and idyllic, snuggled up against the mountain (Monschberg?), smelling a little like poop in a farm type way, but not enough to be offensive, just enough to know you were in the country. And the palace I still want to go to is right near Sallerhof. Oh well, I am still going to try to squeeze it in in the morning (wish me luck!)

Pension Alderhof is 3 minutes from the Bahnhof, which is a plus, but it looks like I am not going to take advantage of this since I plan on  checking out early and taking my stuff to Hellbrun. But I can get straight on the train to Munich if things are close.

Anyway, the Pension is located in a very Turkish neighborhood, right near some sketchy Erotica shops. People here are also really into underwear, lots of underwear shops. But this is worse. The building itself is pretty interesting. And old. I think I read on the website that this is one of the original pre-war buildings and that meetings of the Nazi party were held here. In which case, that’s pretty awesome. And a bit sketchy. It also might explain why my room smells like old people, old cigarette smoke, and Nazis. At least, I think that’s what Nazis might smell like. Pretty sure I am right.

In addition to my two beds, I have a very interesting painted cabinet with a key and a lock, a table with 2 lamps and a phone, another table with two chairs (2 people, remember, god I hope she doesn’t try to charge me the double rate. I will not even begin to know what to do.)

No clock, however,
Austrian rooms have no clocks. Why is this? This is odd. All I have is: a phone from Scott that I can’t fully get to work, thus it is pretty much a fancy clock and alarm clock;  an English pay-as-you-go phone that I don’t seem to have the charger for; and a rectangular, albeit nice watch that I cant always read properly (this seems foolish). But I have managed to get up on time thus far.  I am looking forward to another “8 hours of sleep”. Or at least 8 hours of being in bed.

Last night was the first since the two nights before I flew to London. I have been living like a spy (yeah I saw the new james bond movie). Trying to take in my surroundings without drawing too much attention. Listening to what others have to say. People watching. Analyzing everyone. and catching a nap here and there for a couple of hours, traveling everywhere in every mode of transportation all over Europe. Thus far I have no gun. And have not done a shoulder roll.
I hope this is rectified by the end of my trip.

 I am not cut out for travel. Or places where I don’t speak the language well.  I freak out a little. Even though I knows some German, I just get nervous and look at Alicia. But my tour guide is gone now. Its only me til Wednesday. Plus I have not had too much computer access, so I have published no blogs. And I have not been able to keep up with this journal either. I thought I would do it on planes and trains but so far I just want to sleep on them. maybe on tomorrow’s train, if I don’t finish catching up tonight. Which I won’t, I can tell you already.

No comments: