10.2.10

byzantium and fireworks

Later on in the gas leak day.

Our day actually  starts at 130ish. We decided to go to the Byzantium exhibit at the royal academy of art where neither of us have ever been. Jenna has to do a project on it for class, so it works out quite well all around. The building was beautiful on the outside, with a courtyard full of geometric sculptures that also served as seats, around which were small, short fountains. The exhibit itself was wonderful. I got the student discount even though I am no longer really a student. The sign said ‘approved ids only.’ I am not sure how you get these ids approved or if there is some sort of id approver who just sits there and googles you and scrunches up his face to look at you and then the id. And then states “Approved’. I am pretty sure this is the case. And I did not have that.So when I walked up, the lady asked if I was  a student. I am cheap so I just said yes, but my id is American. And she brusquely said it doesn’t matter where its from and took it and gave me four pounds off (33 percent off!). I felt kind of bad. But I have no money. So I didn’t feel bad enough to not do it.

Inside, the exhibit was huge. Much bigger than I expected. It covered the whole of Byzantium’s history, essentially. Although I took an entire course called Byzantine Art, it doesn’t mean I remember anything from it. Jenna surely does. She would come up to me and whisper something all artsy and educated and I would eventually just pretend to know what she was talking about. “ah yes, yes. I do think that paten was residential. I am not sure how it could be any more clear.” While my mouth was saying this, a different scene played out in my mind. two brain cells were rubbing sticks together trying to make a spark in order to stay alive in the hazardous conditions. two others used a third as a battering ram to open every old rusty, dusty door in my brain hoping to find some of the knowledge about art that I carelessly shoved away in a corner somewhere. The remaining three were, respectively, repeating Morrissey lyrics, dreaming of donuts, and trying to figure out how such a well-treated, non drugged, non liquored-up brain got to be in such a sad state with zero memory power. Poor brain.

Deep down I knew this material but I just couldn’t scrape it together in time, and I often cant convince jenna that I am not nearly as smart as people seem to foolishly think I am, so I just went along with her.  I did see some wonderful illuminated books and manuscripts and some micromosaics that were quite phenomenal. I have always appreciated detail.

Oh and we saw the Sinai icons.

Yeah that’s kind of a big deal.

 art loves jesus. So much. So much art is jesusy, for the record. And while I am not jesusy, I find it quite interesting that that is something that just lasts throughout the art world. Also. i hate iconoclasm. So stupid. Religious fanaticism brings nothing but destruction and sadness. If people want to paint jesus, let them paint jesus. Everyone just chill out and BE NICE TO EACH OTHER. That’s what jesus would want.

After our stroll through this religious opulence, we walked in search of a restaurant; we passed a market, I don’t really remember where exactly or what it was for, but we did not buy anything. I love things like this. Just stumbling across a little town of tents, each with someone hawking something different. Most of it junk, but some of it is a treasure to someone. Awww.

However I did want to buy a fedora, and jenna mocked me openly. I did not buy that fedora, but I WILL buy a fedora and I WILL wear it. One day… but not that day.

We walk to picadilly and pass by the 39 Steps theatre; that was a fantastic play I saw while I was studying abroad at regents. AND it was FREE. What an awesome theatre class that was. [note: since writing this journal, I have also read the book. You should read it. It’s really quite good]. After some traipsing around trying to figure out what to eat we decide to go to this pizza place that jenna has been talking about. we took the tube to London bridge and wandered around for quite some time  because she couldn’t remember quite  where it was and of course I had no idea.  We persevered through a labyrinth of cobblestone streets and dark alleyways (actually a perfect pastime for me) until we finally came across Amano.

Jenna would not let me just order plain pizza, like the boring eater I am, so I wound up with a rocket salad and a pizza that had smoke mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, pine nuts, and avocado. It was actually quite delicious, so I am glad she forced me to be interesting. I couldn’t finish it so I asked them to wrap it up (something that seems to confuse Brits most of the time) and I think jenna ate the rest at a later date. I don’t like waste. The waiter was also brought jenna red wine even after they had a very lengthy discussion about how she wanted white. So overall, good food, but a slightly confused staff.

After dinner we head to the tube to try to catch some Guy Fawkes day fireworks in South London (Clapham to be exact). They shoot off fireworks throughout the week at different locations in london. one of the best times I had when I studied abroad was seeing the fireworks at Alexandra Palace. It was perched on hill, right outside the palace. They had their own display synched up with music, but you could also see many displays all throughout the city because it was such a great vantage point.

So you can see how this fireworks experience may have been a bit sub-par. The tube was absolutely PACKED. And so hot. And awful. But that’s how it is. Since we were running late, we got there after they had started and didn’t have a terribly good vantage point. although it wasn’t as ideal as Ally Pally, the display was actually still really great; the finale in particular was quite impressive and colorful. However, people a few feet away from us came remarkably close to starting a fire. You’ll find that this experience won’t be the first time on this trip where I find myself close to potential fire. Maybe it’s me.

We did a fantastic job of speedwalking down the street and managed to get on the tube when it was MUCH less crowded. We got home, planned out our next day, I used the computer to book some hostels/transportation. Unfortunately I barely slept that night and woke up early enough to leave the house at the same time jenna had to leave for class. My plan for the day was a walk around Hampstead Heath and Regent’s Park (sigh. I miss it so) , then meet up with Helen- a friend I met while at Regent’s- in order to see the new Bond movie at the same theatre on Baker Street where we saw the last one a few years prior. That is all for today.


jenna outside her apartment. she may be upset with me for posting this. but i like it. they were lovely doors.

 this was in jenna's garden. yup that's a giraffe head. not sure what the story is behind this, whose it was or how it got there, but i want to know it.

outside the byzantium exhibit

clapham fireworks for guy fawkes day


jenna's apt has an exit sign. i forget what is was before it was an apartment but apparently everyone needed to know where the exit was. actually this would come in handy in the event of, say , a gas leak.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

typo.not going to tell you where. also, you should be faster posting these. i go through withdraw.

Danielle said...

this is wonderful....i about lost it when you were talking about your brain cells....