15.9.09

on the cat-walk


Today i had a very moving experience. It was one of those things that for some reason you just feel like you have to share with everyone. like every person in the world should experience this and you wish you could all experience it together. perhaps in a perfect world this is what would happen, but as we know my life does not constitute perfect. or worldly.

Here's what happened:

I had a Dr's appointment today. they called me yesterday to inform me i had this appointment. BUT when i called last week because they simply stopped refilling my prescription (that's generally their kind and courteous way of telling me it's time for another appointment), they mentioned nothing of the sort. in fact, i was told that since i hadn't been there since 08, i must schedule a new appointment, the earliest being oct 16. she also preceded this with 'well of course they wont refill it. you haven't been here since 08. i guess you need an appointment . but you're NOT GOING TO LIKE IT." (wtf?) i 'd also like to point out that this is medicine i have been taking for like 5 years, so really, what do they think has changed? they just want my 90 bucks (thanks for not taking health insurance!). so then she schedules me for this one, and proceeds to call me to remind me of an appt i apparently already had scheduled. unfortunately i had work and class and did not find this out til post 5pm. so i had to call in work and say i was goingto be late or these people were going to charge me for the appt anyway and blah blah.

i was annoyed.

but i went. because i need me some drugs. the doctor's great. just his administrative people are less than stellar. but anyway. the whole ordeal left me annoyed. BUT WAIT.

here's the interesting part of what happened:

i go to walk out the main door of the building only to find that i might hit a woman with the door. so i slowly open it and say excuse me. lady turns around to look at me and my eyes look from her eyes to her hand to the leash she was holding to the HUGE CAT ON THE LEASH.

let's talk about this. I say excuse me to woman. woman mumbles something seemingly friendly. i cannot ignore the fact that this short ish, mid 40s woman is holding a leash that is attached to a collar that is around the neck of a fat fat fatty cat. in a parking lot. outside an office building.

how did this woman come to be here? why is this cat tolerating the fact that it is leashed? i did not think cats stood for that sort of shenangins.

seeing as i cannot just ignore this ..this .. miracle? is that what it is? i just don't know what else i could call it. So i say ' my! what a well-trained cat! i've never seen a cat on a leash before. i didn't know they would tolerate it'. to which my new friend replied by telling me the cat was 15 years old. i am not sure if that was supposed to be an answer to my comment, or simply a fun fact.

all of this was done while i was still moving and walking away towards my car. by the time i get to my car i see her strolling this cat over to what is presumably her friend's/ family member's/lover's car. but now she is weaving through the parked cars slowly, and SINGING to her cat. i am not sure what. but she is roving through a big parking lot, cat on a leash, singing.

america.

that right there is just the heart and soul of america. and i am honored to have been part of it. i wish them well. they seemed like a nice, if slightly unique, pair.

as i explained previously, this was a moment i felt i needed to share. and if you were so lucky (or unlucky depending on how much you like or dislike my asinine commentary on life) you may have recieved a text message about this beautiful moment.

here are some of my replies that i think are quite telling of both me and the content of many of these blog posts, i hope the author's don't mind:

Tony: " :) your life has so many bright spots"
Simone: "hahaha thats great, you always run into the best people"
Jenn : "I wish you were actually being taped for candid camera in that moment so i could see the look on your face when she began to sing. or just looking at the cat"
Danielle: "Dear lord, thats amazing. Only could happen in your life though"

clearly my friends agree that things like this happen to me in order to somehow improve my life. fate. glorious glorious cat on a leash fate.



video: apparently lots of people put cats on leashes. wtf cats. you should all be ashamed.

1 comment:

HelenW said...

this is a great post. my cat would never stand for it. you're suppose to start them when they're babies with this, because they don't do it when they're older. but even as a baby my cat refused a collar, much less a leash.