27.5.08

Valedictory Speech

Click on the above title ("Valedictory Speech") then click the link for the 2008 Valedictory Address.


Things happen to me so that i can tell a funny story later on in my life.
A prime example of this is the fact that through a glorified speech writing competition, i was chosen to give the valedictory address to my fellow classmates, and about 7 or 8 thousand other people.
This is hilariously ironic for three main reasons:
1) I disliked about 80 percent of my time at school as it was occurring (though i enjoyed the last semester and looking back the others werent so bad)
2) I am one of the most cynical people you will ever meet
3) I currently have no future. 2 of the other finalists are respectively going on to med school and to get a masters in theology.

Other reasons, like the fact that i am not religious and did not use the word "God" once in a speech for a Jesuit school, and the fact that i actualyl am terrified of public speaking and hate having anyone but teacher's read my work are also somewhat amusing.

However, a lot of people seemed to genuinely like the speech. I mean not just friends who have to pretend to, but i wouls say upwards of 20 people stopped me throughout the day to tell me how much they truly loved it. It was odd.

A woman came up to me with her small child and said "my daughter wants your autograph. she loved what you said so much and she said ' mommy i want to be just like her when i grow up'" . i was baffled by this. i thanked the little girl, asked her name, shook and her hand, and instead of telling her to place her admiration in a more worthy contender, i just said " i bet you can do even better". She wants to be a teacher. She's got better goals than i do. So i apologized for the fact that no one had a pen and i could not sign her program for her, and told her she would be a fantastic teacher.
I don't know what to do with things like this.

Then in a restaurant an elderly woman, someone'es grandma complimented me profusely and told me i should be on TV and that i have a great voice (who was she listening to?). She said her son loved it and that he was in communications and would write me a letter and get me a job. She then proceeded to introduce me to her son, and then her grandson. I said i didn't know him and i don't know many math majors besides caroline. Then his mom said " oh he says you were in the same art history class"
whoops. so i was mumbled some excuse about the class size (25 people tops) and said haveagreatdaybye.

It was the craziest day. I still don't believe any of this happened. I am expecting it all to be a big joke that no one wants to let me in on. But until a hidden camera man pops out, you can all watch this. I can't. I heard myself say "good morning" on the video and started to freak out at the sound of my own voice and had to turn it off. I don't think i am meant to be on TV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard it yet, but I was NOT pretending to like your speech. I've been nagging Ramon to read it for weeks. (He always needs nagging, silly man) Because the speech is great. Really great. I can't watch myself do anything either. Heck, I hate my wedding photos. hahahah So I get you there.

Tony said...

i cant comment on this because graduation makes me sad.